Updated: Aug 12, 2019
Sometimes when I get in a bad mood, or a funk, it takes me a while to brainstorm ways to break out of that bad mood. Sometimes I don't feel like trying to boost my mood when I'm in a funk, but when this becomes the case I come back to a list of things that make me happy that I created before.
Here are multiple examples of ways you can boost your mood quickly. Take down some of your favorite ideas and then create your own list of things that make you happy or boost your mood. This way you can easily motivate yourself to boost your mood and feel better as soon as possible.
As a reminder, if you have depression or other mental health disorders, finding a "quick fix" is not going to solve all your problems, as unfortunate as that is. Make sure along with the small ways to practice self-care and boost your mood, that you have long-term treatment plans in action from a mental health professional. These small ways to boost your mood are not useless for those struggling to find joy throughout the day- any step big or small is necessary for improvement and recovery.
Look through the list of 101 ways to boost your mood fast, and pick some that appeal to you! Not every single suggestion may work for you, so pick your favorites and try them out until you find some that work! This post includes affiliate links, for more information, see my disclaimer!
1. Tan, or just lay in the sun
Vitamin D is awesome when it comes to boosting moods, and the natural sun rays will give you the perfect amount. Remember to use sunscreen!
2. Drink some caffeine, if you can
Caffeine always gives me energy, and I've noticed (personally) that low energy supports bad moods. If caffeine is safe for you to drink, try some and see.
3. Call a family member
4. Eat your favorite snack
5. Walk around your favorite store
6. Start a vision board
7. Write in your journal
Writing always helps me get negative thoughts out! For some great writing suggestions, check out the 52 Mental Health Journal Prompts for Depression.
8. Catch up on homework
9. Go online shopping
10. Meditate for 15-20 minutes
11. Watch a funny TV show
12. Practice deep breathing
13. Ask friends for movie suggestions
14. Listen to your favorite playlist
15. Make a new playlist!
16. Have a spa day
17. Start a new project
18. Join an online forum
19. Read a good fiction book
20. Start a new hobby
21. Go to a new part of town
22. Find an awesome self-help book
23. Plan out this week's self-care
24. Brainstorm new self-care ideas
25. Put together cute outfits
26. Organize your room
27. Decorate the cover of a notebook
28. Throw away old school papers
29. Watch an uplifting documentary
You can pray based on whatever religion you belong to. Praying helps me feel relaxed and comforted. If you don't pray, you can always meditate!
31. Talk to a therapist
32. Dye your hair
33. Try new makeup looks
34. Play with an animal
Whether you have a pet you can play with, a friend's pet, or a local animal shelter, animals tend to boost people's moods fast!
36. Plan a road trip
37. Set up a lunch date with a friend
38. Start a new workout routine
39. Ride/rent a bike
40. Go to the beach
41. Wake up early for the sunrise
42. Watch the sunset
43. Practice some photography
44. Write out a to-do list
45. Try to write a song
46. Use essential oils
47. Plan for the future
48. Buy a really good pen
49. Color in adult coloring books
50. Write a haiku
51. Try yoga
52. Go to a play
53. Start a blog
54. Write a book
55. Find a pen pal
56. Go to a makeup store
Have the professionals help you find the perfect lipstick color for you!
57. Get a massage
58. Go the extra mile
In school, work, or any activity, find the time to go the extra mile.
59. Have a movie marathon
60. Plan out your friends' birthday gifts
61. Write letters to people you love
You don't even have to send them, you can distribute or keep the memento for yourself!
62. Write a list of things you're grateful for
63. Buy yourself a bouquet of flowers to keep in your room
64. Put on a face mask
65. Balance your finances
67. Start or work on a collection
68. Start a new board on Pinterest
69. Take fun online quizzes
70. Take a bubble bath
71. Paint your nails
72. Put coconut oil in your hair
74. Find healthy recipes
75. Make a delicious meal or dessert
76. Buy an ice cream cone
77. Go to a farmer's market
78. Wash your bed sheets
This one always makes me feel better! Sleeping in freshly cleaned sheets feels amazing.
79. Do your eyebrows
80. Get body art
This one is a mood booster specifically for people who can and want to get body art! Make sure if you're a minor you have your parents' permission, but cute piercings or a tiny (or whatever your preference) tattoo can boost your self-esteem, and therefore your mood.
81. Get intimate
This could be with a partner, or yourself (gasp). Intimacy can definitely boost your mood!
82. Go to the gym
83. Schedule a doctor's appointment for a check-up
84. Gather some of your favorite quotes
85. Go to a library
86. Go out with friends- dinner, dancing, drinks!
87. Craft a DIY project
88. Write a bucket list
89. Compliment someone.
It could be in person, or on social media!
90. Buy a homeless person lunch
91. Buy a cute *big* water bottle
Staying hydrated will help keep your energy up, which in turn will support good moods. If you have a cute water bottle to refill, drinking water will be so much more fun!
92. Hug someone
93. Start saving money for something you want
94. Go to Target
I mean this one is obvious, Target always makes me feel better...
95. Go thrift shopping
97. Paint a landscape
98. Buy a small plant for your room
99. Start a garden
Your garden could have flowers, greenery, veggies, fruits, or herbs!
100. Try to learn a new language
Smiling has been proven to increase your mood, even if you don't want to smile!