Updated: May 2, 2019
Natural supplements can benefit many illnesses and health issues, but did you know they can also benefit those with depression? Read below for a list of natural supplements that can aid in relieving symptoms of clinical depression!
You May Also Be Interested In: Bliss Aromatherapy | The perfect blend of essential oils designed to enliven, uplift, and embolden your lifestyle and mind.
This post may contain affiliate links, however all products are trusted and researched! For more information, see my disclaimer.
1. Fish Oil & Omega 3 Fatty Acids
- major building block in optimal brain chemistry
2. B-complex Vitamins
- B3, B6, B12, & Folic Acid
- mood enhancers by helping transmit brain cell signals
3. 5-HTP (amino acid)
- converted to serotonin in the body
4. Theanine (amino acid)
- found in green tea, triggers GABA, which promotes relaxation
5. Vitamin D
- might improve neurotransmitter function
*** I have personal experience with vitamin D. I was tested a while back when I had symptoms of depression without the diagnosis yet, and I had a blood test which revealed I had a deficiency in vitamin D. Now when I take vitamin D, I definitely notice a change for the better in my mood!
- nerve cells in your gut make most of your body's serotonin, apparently more than the brain!
- helps with the synthesis of neurotransmitters
- activates genes to produce antioxidants that protect our mitochondria
- can be depleted by stress, caffeine, sugar, and alcohol
- powerful relaxation mineral
- helps insomnia (common side effect of depression)
- promotes healthy sleep, which in turn can promote better moods
11. St. John's Wort
- natural antidepressant, don't take with other antidepressants
- recommended not to take with birth control
12. Vitamin K
- can help promote healthy blood glucose levels
- research still being done on how this specifically helps depression
You May Be Interested In: 52 Mental Health Journal Prompts for Depression